Wednesday 5 October 2011

Prince2 eLearning

Seeing as I have been a Senior Developer / Team Leader / Project Manager for the last 5-6 years, I thought I would try to get a qualification.

In June 2011, I decided that I would set myself a four week target to get my Prince2 Foundation exam completed and then set a deadline of just three weeks after my summer holiday for the Practitioner exam.

I decided that I would study Monday through Thursday evenings for 1-2 hours per night, once I was home from work.  This worked well, as I could happily sit in the garden and enjoy the evening summer sun and read the Prince2 manual.

I found the reading fairly easy going, most of which was common sense with a few keywords, acronyms and then the additional procedures.

The foundation exam was fairly straight forward.  I had read the book and completed several practice exams.  In the end I received quite a high mark and was feeling confident that the self learning experience was working.

Last week, I took the more difficult Practitioner exam.  This was very tough, compared to the Foundation exam.  I have had quite a bit of practical experience using Prince2 in a couple of environments and for many projects, but the exam proved to be quite extensive and challenging.  All of the 23 of us who took the exam found it tough.

I am pleased to say that I passed with a much higher grade than anticipated.  There are no grades, as such, but just a simple 55% pass mark, which I passed very comfortably, achieving more than 80%.

4 comments:

  1. Prince2 is a Project Management methodology and eLearning is Electronic Learning, with the use of the internet. This means that you can study from anywhere with a computer and meant that I did not have to take time off work for a 5 day course (... seeing as I am a contractor!!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, what e- learning did you use. Stephan http://cupeblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/5-reasons-why-project-managers-should-consider-e%e2%80%93learning/ this post may be of interest to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually used this one (http://www.skillsolve.co.uk/our-courses/prince2/distance-learning/prince2-2009-practitioner-passport-plus/), which as mentioned in my post, for £750 (+VAT) included
    - Passport eLearning
    - PRINCE2® Manual
    - Accredited Trainer Support
    - Practitioner Assistant
    - 1 Day Classroom Event
    - Found & Practitioner Exam

    I passed both exams with high marks, so I can recommend the option.

    ReplyDelete